Canada Learning Code seeks to grow our Code Mobile Team
Canada Learning Code is Canada's leading national charity championing digital literacy education. Placing a special emphasis on women, girls, people with disabilities, Indigenous youth and newcomers, Canada Learning Code is proud to work from coast to coast to make sure that all Canadians have access to the knowledge they need to prosper in our digital world. Originally founded as Ladies Learning Code in 2011, the organization has evolved to run programming for adults, youth and educators through programs Ladies, Girls, Kids, Teens and Teachers Learning Code. Today, Canada Learning Code operates in over 35 communities across the country, driving results through program design and delivery, strategic industry and public partnerships, research and advocacy. To date, the organization has reached over 250,000 learners through an in-person experience.
Canada Learning Code is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity and inclusion within all our teams (employees and volunteers alike). We are committed to continuing to diversify our Teams across Canada. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented and minority groups.
We are looking for an energetic, mission-driven person to join our team as Code Mobile Communications Lead
About the Role
Our Code Mobile Communications Lead will ensure that we deliver inspiring educational experiences with our Code Mobile and that we reach or exceed our learner goals across all of our programs. If we develop unique local partnerships and build our community of educators and learners across the region, our Code Mobile Communications Lead will have done their job well.
Plan regional trips for the Code Mobiles
Be the main point of contact for each event partner and ensure that the team knows where they need to go, what the needs of the event are so that execution is flawless.
Participate in the delivery of workshops and events as a mentor and lead instructor
Support event partners in promoting their events, as needed. This might be helping with registration efforts, finding venues and more
Coordinate pop-ups at events such as street festivals, tech faires, parking lot promotional events and more!
Coordinate local media coverage, participate in interviews
Execute and manage follow-ups, feedback surveys and analysis for all events
Manage parent communication for all events as needed
Promote events and activity through Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and blogging
Capture the events and the trip activities in photographs and videos
Manage volunteer recruitment, as needed
Collaborate with Chapters to ensure that Code Mobile is leveraging our broader team
Step into all team member roles, whether that is driving the truck, leading a workshop or managing inventory!
Greet all learners when they arrive and ensure they are set up for success.
Ensure youth are learning and enjoying our programs.
Support mentors in their roles. Deliver training and orientations to mentors, as needed
Ultimately, this role will be shaped by the person who fills it -- you will help determine what strategies and efforts are required to get the job done. The position will require you to be personable, self-directed, creative, and flexible. We are looking for someone who has displayed strong interpersonal skills and organizational capabilities throughout their career to date, and who has brought an entrepreneurial flair to every endeavour that they have undertaken.
- You have a G Class Drivers License. This is an absolute must.
- You have experience in leadership roles with youth - mentoring, teaching, coaching, ideally teaching in camp and/or classroom environments
- You have strong interpersonal communication skills and love the social side of work
- You have strong customer service skills and telephone etiquette
- You have impeccable time-management, planning and organizing skills
- It would be great if you have experience with providing support to educators
- You might have some brand ambassador experience
- It would help you if you have event coordination experience
- You have demonstrated comfort in high-paced situations
- You enjoy interacting with kids and are passionate about inspiring and teaching them
- You are passionate about learning environments
- You are a flexible team player and confident in asking the right questions and being engaged to find positive solutions
- You are incredibly self-directed and need little supervision
- You are superbly organized (You are obsessed with list*making)
- You are known for your ability to plan, organize, and multitask with minimal supervision
- You love to use online tools and technology to help you be effective and efficient
- You consider yourself tech-savvy. You know your way around Google Tools such as Drive, Calendar and Hangouts
- You have a basic understanding of HTML, CSS and Web Design
- You can manage multiple events, people and deadlines
- You have a driven personality to see projects and tasks through to completion
- You have a 'no job is too big or too small' mentality
- You are reliable, honest, and trustworthy and have strong integrity
- You take initiative and are excited to come up with creative ideas as part of your job every day
- You have first aid training and child and infant CPR (if you don’t have it already, it will be required that you get it prior to your start date).
- You can expect that these role will be both fun and challenging. You will help shape the role and what it takes for you to be successful
Not technical? No problem. The first little while in this role will be a technical “crash course”, getting you trained on basic coding, on computational thinking principles, and on tools like Scratch.
Work Hours and Environment
This is a full-time position with hours that vary week-to-week and day-to-day, relating the programming schedule (which you create and manage!). This role will work primarily on the road with the Code Mobile and in classroom and event spaces.
Some evening and weekend work will be required. Some travel will be required.
This role reports to our Code Mobile Program Delivery Manager!
This is a contract that begins as soon as possible and ends May 31, 2021, with the potential for extension!
Why Join Our Team?
We’re doing something big and we have huge goals. Canada Learning Code is a place where you will be surrounded and supported by some amazing people who are light on ego, high on curiosity, and flat out want make a difference. We are always looking for talented individuals who bring strong skill sets that complement and add to our existing teams along with innovative thinking, team attitude and an ability to show results.
All positions at our organization include the following perks & benefits:
- 15 days of vacation annually
- Up to 10 Personal Emergency Leave days per calendar year
- Lieu Days for additional days worked, such as attending weekend and evening events or meetings
- Extra time off (usually one week) during downtime in December
- A professional development budget
- Group benefits including medical and dental
- A very progressive pregnancy & parental leave policy
- The opportunity to participate in part-time courses and workshops for free
- Access to our Privacy Room (a private room with locking door for breastfeeding, pumping, prayer, yoga, etc.)
- Be part of a growing team that is changing the digital literacy education industry in a big way