Canada Learning Code is a national charity organization championing digital literacy education, working nation-wide and across all sectors to equip Canadians with technical skills. To date, the organization has taught over 200,000 learners through their programs, which are offered in 35 cities across the country. Founded as Ladies Learning Code in 2011, the organization has evolved to run programming for adults, youth and educators through programs Ladies, Girls, Kids, Teens and Teachers Learning Code. Canada Learning Code’s goal is to create 10 million technology learning experiences for Canadians over ten years. Technical skills are a tool of empowerment, and it is the organization’s mission to ensure that all Canadians - particularly those who are currently underrepresented in the tech sector - have access to learn these critical skills and be active participants in the digital age.
Canada Learning Code is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity and inclusion within all our teams (employees and volunteers alike). We are committed to continuing to diversify our Teams across Canada. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented and minority groups.
We are looking for a bright, enthusiastic, kid-loving individual to join our team as a Summer Camp Coordinator
What Success Looks Like
This team is responsible for the daily and overall success of our Summer Camp experiences.
They are the main points of contact for parents, volunteers and field trip partners, are to ensure that the youth gain an educational, safe, and fun experience and will promote the Kids & Girls Learning Code vision of inclusivity and accessibility of technology education.
- Active delivery and implementation of the camp experience
- Assist in the delivery of community workshops with our Code Mobile team (when no camps are being run)
- Assist with responding to parent questions and concerns to ensure customer satisfaction
- Assisting parents with checking in and checking out registered campers and maintaining registration records
- Ensuring each day runs on schedule and all required resources for delivery are purchased
- Managing the flow of the experience, daily/weekly agendas and logistics of camp
- Ensuring all youth feel included, engaged and have an amazing experience at our camps
- Coordinating and supervising field trips
- Leading icebreakers and group games
- Ensuring relevant policies and our Code of Conduct are consistent through all Camp volunteers
- Being knowledgeable of all camp content - and be prepared to instruct
- Ensuring that the content components of the camp experience are delivered up to standard and in a fun and engaging way
- Managing and coordinate volunteer schedules, engagement, training, and appreciation
- Ensuring that volunteers are providing value to the camp experience and feel supported in doing so
- Ensuring that volunteers apply safety, behavioral management and engagement strategies throughout camp
- Manage volunteer instructors to ensure content is being delivered up to standard
- Maintaining and setting up the computer lab to ensure all technical requirements needed for Instructors to deliver are set up
- You have a high school diploma or equivalent
- This role is funded by Canada Summer Jobs Grant for youth, it is required that applicants are under the age of 30
- You enjoy interacting with kids and are passionate about inspiring and teaching them
- You have strong communication skills
- You are passionate about learning environments
- You are a flexible team player and confident in asking the right questions and being engaged to find positive solutions
- You are comfortable problem solving and finding the answers to your questions resourcefully
- You are superbly organized (You are obsessed with list*making)
- You love to use online tools and technology to help you be effective and efficient
- You consider yourself tech-savvy. You know your way around Google Tools such as Drive, Calendar and Hangouts.
- You have a driven personality to see projects and tasks through to completion
- You have a 'no job is too big or too small' mentality
- You are reliable, honest, and trustworthy and have strong integrity
- You take initiative and are excited to come up with creative ideas as part of your job every day
- You can expect that this role will be both fun and challenging. You will help shape the roles and what it takes for you to be successful
- Fluency in English and French is an asset
Work Hours and Environment
This is a full-time position during an 8-week contract.
This role reports to our Director of Program Delivery.
Why Join Our Team?
We’re doing something big and we have huge goals. Canada Learning Code is a place where you will be surrounded and supported by some amazing people who are light on ego, high on curiosity, and flat out want make a difference. We are always looking for talented individuals who bring strong skill sets that complement and add to our existing teams along with innovative thinking, team attitude and an ability to show results.