We are currently looking for bright, entrepreneurial, charismatic individuals with strong initiative to help lead Canada Learning Code programs in cities across Canada. This is a volunteer position (but our Chapter Leads earn a stipend for the programs they lead).
We’re excited to establish new Chapters in a city near you, however, we are actively looking for Chapter Leads in:
- Charlottetown, ON,
- Cornwall, ON,
- Winnipeg, MB,
- Niagara, ON
- Belleville, ON
- Nelson, BC
- Red Deer, AB
- Durham region, ON
- Mississauga, ON
- Peterborough, ON
- Ottawa, ON
- Edmonton, AB
Empower Canadians to learn beginner-friendly technical skills, build a community of individuals with an interest in the tech industry, gain experience planning large and small events (our learning experiences), while supporting a charitable cause!
About Canada Learning Code
At Canada Learning Code, we believe that digital skills are tools of empowerment. Our goal is to ensure that all Canadians – particularly women, girls, people with disabilities, Indigenous youth and newcomers – who have been historically underrepresented in the tech sector are given equal opportunity to build our future. We are champions for digital literacy in Canada, driving results through research-backed design, the highest standards of delivery and strategic partnerships to ensure an increase in advocacy for the underrepresented in the tech sector. We aim to empower Canadians in every province and territory to develop computational thinking abilities, through code and other digital skills, equipping them to become creators – not just consumers – of technology. We believe that diversity is Canada’s strength and everyone should be given equal opportunity to learn critical 21st-century skills. Our goal is to level the educational playing field to drive innovation.
Learn more about our Programs and our impact here.
- Organize Canada Learning Code program educational experiences
Solicit mentors to meet the 4:1 ratio of learners-to-mentors
Workshops usually take place on Saturdays or Sundays or evenings and are BYOL (“bring your own laptop”)
We do our best to run experiences every month in our Chapter communities - but this is flexible based on the needs and demands of individual regions and the capacity of our Chapter Teams.
Find a talented Lead Instructor for each workshop from the local tech community and select a topic from the Canada Learning Code content library
Choose a date and venue for the workshop
Communicate workshop details to the HQ team so that we can launch registration and communicate plans via social media
Coordinate volunteers, catering, a PA system, projectors and power as well as other on-site day of logistics
Manage a local budget, learner goals and targets
What We’ll Take Care of For You:
Running workshops is a lot of work. In order to help you make your city’s Canada Learning Code Chapter a success, we’ll be supporting our Chapter Leads in a variety of ways. We take care of:
- Developing content – we’ve already developed dozens of workshops for you to choose from, and continue to develop new content to meet our communities’ needs
- Some administrative, registration and accounting support – as this can be time-consuming, so we’ll be managing it centrally.
- PR and Marketing support – social media, email newsletters, press outreach, and more.
- Community Development support – to maintain a 4:1 ratio of students-to-instructors at workshops in your city, you’re going to need the support of your tech community. We can help with that.
- Fundraising – We provide internal grants/funds to support your Chapter and will handle handle all large sponsorships, while fully supporting you if you seek local sponsorships and partnerships
- Ongoing support from the Canada Learning Code HQ team – we’re here to help as you grow your chapter from an idea into reality.
What We Expect from Canada Learning Code Chapter Leads:
- Accountability It is important that you work well with your local community to make sure all invested parties – from instructors to sponsors to attendees – have a great experience with Canada Learning Code education experiences.
- Communicating the Canada Learning Code Message Understand and communicate the organization and program messages and value proposition at each event you facilitate.
- Representing Canada Learning Code to the Local Community understand how to work with and what to expect from the local media.
- Ensuring Quality Event Executionion Everything from greeting and directing participants and mentors, communicating with caterers and venue partners, setting up AV equipment, etc. The Chapter Leads will ensure events are coordinated and executed properly.
- Managing the Event’s Tone Create a vibrant & positive atmosphere where individuals can learn new tech-related skills in a beginner-friendly, social and collaborative way
In addition to that, we’re looking for individuals who are:
- Flexible, adaptable, and solutions-minded
- Enthusiastic and motivating
- Friendly and supportive
- Tech-savvy with an interest in learning to code