Canada Learning Code seeks to grow our Team
Canada Learning Code is a national not-for-profit organization championing digital literacy education, working nation-wide and across all sectors to equip Canadians with technical skills. To date, the organization has taught over 100,000 learners through their programs, which are offered in 35 cities across the country. Founded as Ladies Learning Code in 2011, the organization has evolved to run programming for adults, youth and educators through programs Ladies, Girls, Kids, Teens and Teachers Learning Code. Canada Learning Code’s goal is to create 10 million technology learning experiences for Canadians over ten years. Technical skills are a tool of empowerment, and it is the organization’s mission to ensure that all Canadians - particularly those who are currently underrepresented in the tech sector - have access to learn these critical skills and be active participants in the digital age.
Canada Learning Code is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity and inclusion within all our teams (employees and volunteers alike). We are committed to continuing to diversify our Teams across Canada. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented and minority groups.
We are looking for a mission-driven, experienced leader to join our team as a Chief Operating Officer
What Success Looks Like
- We’re effective in the way we work and deliver our programs
- We have a culture of data driven decision making throughout organization and a focus on evaluating our impact
- We have a strong strategic plan and growth strategy for the organization
- We build a strong and vibrant company that’s progressive, transparent and puts our community first
- Lead Canada Learning Code’s Operations Strategy to ensure the organization is efficient, effective and is set up to successfully achieve goals and objectives
- Assist the CEO (and Board of Directors) in facilitating effective decision-making, team management and operations
- Perform varying duties depending on the shifting needs of the company and its team
- Support the planning, management and administration of organization priorities, programs and initiatives, including assisting the CEO with budget $/resource allocation decisions
- Coordinate the execution of ad-hoc strategic initiatives and special projects by leading and/or overseeing them and reporting results back to the CEO and leadership team
- Lead initiatives related to evaluation and data, in terms of strategy and execution, analysis and reporting
- Lead initiatives relating to branding, marketing and promotion
- Lead Canada Learning Code fundraising and partnership strategies
- Negotiate partnership and funding agreements, MOUs, etc.
- Ensure that Canada Learning Code operates in a lawful and ethical manner and minimize liabilities and organizational threats, managing relationships and strategies with legal council
- Lead the IT staff and/or agencies to ensure all Canada Learning Code’s physical and online presence reflects the brand
- Manage IT infrastructure to support successful operations
- Manage the Canada Learning Code office space, including furniture, maintenance, cleaning, utilities, communication services, tenant agreement, rent, etc.
- Oversee research and analysis to identify points of alignment between Canada Learning Code's evolving interests and those of existing and emerging partner organizations
- Responsible for telling the story of our developing community through the creation and dissemination of thoughtful, valuable impact reports
- Ensure that all elements of the partnership agreements are designed to expand and enhance the Canada Learning Code brand
- Build and advance Canada Learning Code's partnerships with key strategic stakeholders, members, and funders in line with Canada Learning Code's strategic priorities (with relevant Program Managers and Delivery teams)
- Represent Canada Learning Code as a senior point of contact for leaders in our strategic partner organizations
- Effectively communicate insights, learnings and trends to Canada Learning Code's Board, leadership team, and key stakeholders
- Understand and mitigate key elements of the company's risk profile
- Monitor all open legal issues involving the company, and legal issues affecting the industry
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems
- Maintain appropriate insurance coverage
- Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Ensure that record keeping meets the requirements of auditors and government agencies
- Report risk issues to the audit committee of the board of directors
- Maintain relations with external auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations
Work Hours and Environment
This is a full-time position. Core working hours are 10AM - 4PM Monday to Friday, with flexibility to work outside these hours as you prefer and is needed to achieve goals. This role will work primarily from our HQ office space but our organization has a flexible workplace policy. We have an open concept workspace with flexible workspace options.
Some evening and weekend work will be required. Some travel may be required.
This role reports to our CEO.
This role directly manages our Fundraising and Marketing teams, Accounting and Office Administrator, as well as external partners/contractors: IT, Legal, Evaluation.
Why Join Our Team?
We’re doing something big and we have huge goals. Canada Learning Code is a place where you will be surrounded and supported by some amazing people who are light on ego, high on curiosity, and flat out want make a difference. We are always looking for talented individuals who bring strong skill sets that complement and add to our existing teams along with innovative thinking, team attitude and an ability to show results.
All positions at our organization include the following perks & benefits:
- 15 days of vacation annually
- Up to 10 Personal Emergency Leave days per calendar year
- Lieu Days for additional days worked, such as attending weekend and evening events or meetings
- Extra time off (usually one week) during downtime in December
- A professional development budget
- Group benefits including medical and dental
- A very progressive pregnancy & parental leave policy
- The opportunity to participate in part-time courses and workshops for free
- Access to our Privacy Room (a private room with locking door for breastfeeding, pumping, prayer, yoga, etc.)
- Be part of a growing team that is changing the digital literacy education industry in a big way